Namibia Country Overview
Namibia is generally an arid country with 22% of its landmass classified as desert with a mean annual rainfall of less than 100 mm. 33% of the land can be classified as arid, with a mean annual rainfall of between 100 and 300 mm, 37% is semi-arid, with a mean annual rainfall of between 301 and 500 mm, and 8% is sub-humid, with a mean annual rainfall of between 501 and 700 mm. In addition to low rainfall, poor soils also constrain farm production. About 97 per cent of the country‘s soils have less than 5 per cent clay content and only about 1 per cent have medium to high potential for rainfed or irrigated arable production. About 55 million hectares or 67% of the country is used for farming while the remaining 33% consists of national parks, game farms, urban areas, mineral concessions and areas too dry or remote to be used for agriculture. Over 1.2 million people (total Namibian population was 1,830,330 as at the last census in 2001) live on farmland, which is many more than in any other economic unit. Despite the high proportions of farming land and households dependent on agriculture in Namibia, agriculture contributes a comparatively low percentage to Namibia‘s Gross Domestic Product (GDP). The agriculture and forestry sector made up 5.9% of GDP in 2007, ranking sixth after government services; mining; finance, real estate and services, wholesale and retail trade; and manufacturing.

Key Statistics
Population 2,105,000 (2011) Source: SADC Statistics Unit
Employed in Agriculture N/A
GDP (USD) 12,705,214,798 (2011) Source: SADC Statistics Unit
GDP Agriculture Share (%) 7.78 (2011) Source: SADC Statistics Unit
National Budget (USD) N/A
Agriculture Budget (%) N/A

Latest Millet Balance (MT)
Year N/A
Availability N/A
Requirement N/A
N/A

Food Insecurity Numbers
Year 2010
Consumption Period 2010/2011
Total Vulnerable 106,297
Source: SADC RVAA
Recent Staple Crop Production (Millet)
yearproduction
200937,301
200835,512
200744,450
2006105,648
200572,392

Recent Livestock Population (Cattle)
yearpopulation
20062,383,960
20052,219,330
20042,349,700
20032,336,094
20022,329,553
Provincial figures
Provincial Crop Production